Saturday, March 20, 2010

Moab's 1/2 marathon!

My friend Katie ran in the race too. She kicked my trash, she was the best one for the job, she's an animal.
We did it! I was so proud of Brooke. The farthest we have run together was 6 miles, so I know it was not an easy thing for him but he did great! I waited for him at the finish line, I wouldn't have missed him crossing the finish line for the world! He got hugs and kisses the minute he crossed the finish line.

The drive home was fun. No kids and loud fun music! It's fun to feel like a newlywed at least every once in a while. Only this time we know we are old because we both could hardly walk when we stopped at a gas station to gas up, back to reality. There's no one else I'd rather be sore and old with with than you sweetie!

Our first 1/2 marathon was awesome! So we got there way too early and boarded the first bus (that was a mistake and a lesson learned for next time). The bus had some jammed windows and I don't think it had a heater so it was freezing! We thought it would be fine since we were told that they would have some fires going up in the canyons to keep the runners warm. Oh no, there were no fires but they did have hot chocolate to keep us warm. Luckily Brooke was dressed warm and I had a sweatshirt but didn't wear pants! I literally went in the port-a-potty and stayed warm in there for about 10 minutes (I was desperate and cold and since we were so early the port-a-potties were clean to). Brooke had to come and ask me if I was okay. I just told him I was staying as warm as I could. Desperate times call for desperate measures. As the morning went on it at least got up to 50 degrees. Brooke was layered and was so, so nice and gave me his sweat pants to wear. While we waited we weren't bored. They played some awesome music and since EVERYONE was cold (clothed or not) it was a big dance party, to try to stay warm, people you don't even know get very friendly when it's cold outside and you don't even care because it's so cold. They played some ac/dc, Def Leppard a little, Pour Some Sugar on Me, Michael Jackson and Survivor's the Eye of the Tiger. Totally set the tone for our very long run. The miles went like this: 1-2-- My feet were frozen and finally thawed out as I hit mile marker 3. Mile 3-- The sun finally made an appearance over the canyon and every ones clothes were thrown to the side of the road (all extra clothes were donated to charity) since it was starting to warm up. Mile 4--You really got to know everyone on a very personal level; the guys were peeing off the sides of the road, the girls were hiding behind big boulders to go to the bathroom and other guys who didn't know girls were already there followed behind them. Miles 6-8-- I was feeling pretty good even though I was getting passed up by Grandma's and Grandpa's, no joke, they were animals. Brooke also witnessed an old man at one of the camping sites off the road offer a lady some whisky, she took it and started drinking it, water might be a little better (when in Rome I guess). Mile 9--Hit a big hill and felt like I was going in slow motion. Mile 10-- Normally you'd think the last 3 miles would be easy cause you're on the home stretch, no way. I thought I was going to die! They did have some awesome people drumming as you passed by. Mile 10 was at the bottom of the canyon so you could hear it like 1/2 a mile before you got to the drinking station. Mile 11--Still getting passed by Grandma's and Grandpa's, this time I could care less as long as I just kept running and didn't stop. Mile 12-- I really thought they were messing with us by moving the mile marker 12 sign farther on down the road, because it couldn't come soon enough. Mile 13-- Was relief, Happiness and soreness all wrapped in one. And to think I signed up to do it all again on June 12th with my friend Sarah, what am I thinking? My gun time was under 2 hours, when I get the digital chip time (a timer that we had to wear on our running shoes) off their website, I'll post it. After talking with Brooke he felt the same way I did about all the miles, his feet were frozen, he got to know people a little too well and he could have done with out the hill too. His gun time was about 2 hours and 20 minutes. It was really a fun experience and I would do it again in a heartbeat tomorrow (if I weren't so sore from today). Wouldn't trade it for anything.

3 comments:

  1. Yay way to go. You guys did awesome!! I am excited for June. You are going to kick my butt. I better step up my training. Nice job you two.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sooooo impressed with both of you. My dad is a huge marathon runner (well, used to be anyway) but I TOTALLY remember the hilarious (and sad) SORE people all walking around the day after the race. His old trick used to be drinking a coke at the finish line. :)
    Either way you guys are amazing! SOOO happy you did it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey lowe's. nice work! i'm super impressed! i didn't know that brooke ran too! i'll be doing the half in june also. and i'm with sarah, you'll kick my butt too:)

    ReplyDelete