Sunday, January 23, 2011

My SugarLoaf Mountain!

When I think back on my childhood, this is a lot of what I think of, Sugar Loaf Mountain.
Compared to Utah mountains, no it's not big by any means. When you can climb or drive (mostly)up to the top all in an afternoon, but this is something my Dad, brother and sister would do. Then when my sister and brother got older and no longer couldn't or were too busy, it became something just my Dad and I did together, since they were so much older than me. My Dad loved to be out in nature and I suppose he felt like I had tons of energy that needed to be burned. We would go in the spring, summer and fall as long as weather let us, we would make the long scenic drive and we would go hiking. This place is something that I will treasure my whole life. I was more than happy to share this place with my children, for me it was better than Thanksgiving.

I remember the acorn wars that my brother and sister would have. As they hid behind rocks and chucked acorns at each other. I was the gopher and would stock them up as they piled acorns into their pouches that they made with their sweatshirts that they had on. Looking back, it's funny that they would send me out within shooting range while I got their ammo, way to sacrifice your little sister, I'm sure I was more than happy to do it.



The view from up top. Just beautiful! I also remember many, many times my Dad getting nervous that I would fall off one of the rocks and down the mountain. When I was younger I was invincible, of course, isn't every child?

The family, nice and frozen!
Papa and Easton.
Cooper, the boy could not keep 2 feet on the ground. He kept slipping and tripping all over the place, this was just one of the very MANY moments on the way back down the mountain, even with a walking stick.
Jr. on one of the very many rocks he climbed.
This is the, "Wall". I remember all the stone steps and this gigantic rock. As a kid I was always in awe when we'd make it this far and see the huge wall of rock and all of the stone steps we had to climb before we got to the top.
These two were buddies for most of the hike, where Grandpa was so was little Easton most of the time. Papa let him walk most of the steps as he patiently waited.
Elijah, the smile says it all, this is boy heaven.
Rustin.
The boys exploring...
and hiking.
I was wondering why Evie wasn't near the edges of the rock with the other boys. My brother said, "I wouldn't let her." Sounds too familiar.
When we got there, it was FREEZING. Then we got to the 2nd tier and let the kids play a little bit more. By the time the adults were frozen, the kids did not want to leave. Lots of devastated sighs all around.
The cousins.
Uncle Jonny.

Dad, thanks so much for the fun memories! They mean more to me than you know.

1 comment:

  1. What a fun memory and even better to pass it on to your boys who appear to be loving it! :) I'm loving catching up on your blog!

    ReplyDelete