Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Chess, the game of smarty pants.

So the other day Elijah noticed the chess game and asked if we could play it. I said maybe tomorrow. So here is the tomorrow (the tonight).
First I went through the set up of what goes where and what moves they can make. So Elijah and I went through and played a game. As we played he really did catch on to all of the rules. Elijah did win and I am guilty of all counts of playing not to the best of my ability. Then Rustin got to play the second round, he caught on pretty fast too and won that game. Before he won Elijah was explaining to Rustin how the king worked and how the queen worked. Rustin asked why the queen could move more than the king and Elijah said, "Because the queen is the girl and she can move where ever she wants to move."-- oh how little does he understand, now, how very much that statement applies later on down the road. Now that he's got that one figured out and doesn't even know it yet, how much smarter he will be when that time comes.
The boys understood what moves would bring instant death to a piece but don't quite understand the repercussions of the first move (i.e. killing one of my guys could mean death to one of their guys as a result). In the end they had a fun time and even though it was a 2 person game all 4 of us were huddled around the chess board waiting for the next move. By the end of the night Elijah taunted me by saying, "I beat a 29 year old girl.". I quickly added, "Yeah, we'll see who wins tomorrow night.". He might have to be humbled tomorrow by the "Queen". So good job to my little smarty pants boys.

No comments:

Post a Comment