Tuesday, May 11, 2010

To My Mother, Love your baby girl...

To my mother a little bit after Mother's day. These are just some of the reasons I love my Mom!
She's a baker! She has a bit of a sweet tooth so luckily for the rest of us we got to consume many a baked goods. I have so many memories of my mom in the kitchen. All the yummy smells and tasty treats.
Secondly, she's a sewer. After my mom stopped working probably when I was in about 3rd grade, she picked up one of her hobbies from when she was younger. Sewing, again I have some fun memories of her and I going to the fabric store to pick out a cute pattern for a dress or a pattern for a pound puppy (which I still remember, by the way). I was so excited for that pound puppy to be done I think I hounded my mom endlessly to finish it. I know my mom probably wouldn't remember that one. To this day she still likes sewing and as the Holidays approach, year after year I pull out my red and green runner that sets on our kitchen table that was hand crafted by her and love to tell people that my mom made it. From a little girl to a grown women now, I still appreciate all of her projects that start out as projects and really become a labor of love. They really are her stitches of love.
Thirdly she's a cleaner. Something I remember when I was younger about my mom is that she would hit these, "Cleaning spells" that would last literally all day until the house was spic and span, I remember thinking my mom is crazy. I now know a little bit about those "cleaning spells". That's something I inherited from her and I am sure some day my children will think I am just as crazy. There have been times at 10 o'clock at night and just clean until midnight or later. So thanks mom for cleaning up many of the messes created by me and I'm sure there were many!
fourthly, my mom loved to go to the movie theater! Although she's deaf and can't read their lips and doesn't really know the dialogue she can read body language and facial expressions! She loves action movies for that very reason. Because of the language barrier my dad doesn't like to go to movies. So my mom would take me and I can remember a long time ago she took me to go see "Karate Kid". I so fell asleep during the movie but I remember going with her and doing something that she like to do.
fifthly (oh, that's not a word but in my world I guess I'll make it a word). My mom loves to laugh, if there's a funny movie or show on, she's watching it. And she loves to make people laugh. She loves to tell her deaf jokes countless times, if I could remember them now I would tell them, trust me.
Lastly, she's a fighter! My Mom has cancer and as a result has to take countless medications, constant doctor visits, chemotherapy, lots of blood transfusions, constant discoveries of new health problems (mostly related to the cancer) not to mention having to go through all of her appointments with the doctors and interpreters trying to understand really what is going on with her body and still remains tired but happy.
I love my mom and as I reflect back on my childhood she made it a happy one filled with love and happiness. Although I do not have any girls, I have boys and still that thread that ties me to her is that sense of Motherhood, that selfless and daily sacrifice you would only offer to those for whom you love the most, your children. I would not be the woman I am today if it weren't for my Mother. So cheer's to my Mom. May there be many more years of visits from Grandma Gallien.
All of these words were "Hand Crafted" especially for you, Mom, on this Mother's day (a few days late).
Love always~
Your Baby Girl always and forever.......

2 comments:

  1. Steph that was so sweet! Your mom sounds like such an amazing person - and given what an amazing person you are I can now see where you got it from.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How are you? I haven't talked to you in forever! When are you guys leaving? We definitly need to get out this next week so you'll have to let me know when you're free.
    Also, that was a nice post about your mom. My mom is going through cancer right now too and it's awful. I hope your mom is ok!

    ReplyDelete