Thursday, December 31, 2009

This was a gift from Brooke's mom and dad, this is the story that goes along with it. It made all his brother's and sisters ball their heads off.

Dear Kids, Merry Christmas-2009
I rather suspect that you have all looked at the small, brown fold up chair that is usually near the piano in our living rooom. I even suppose that most of you have sat on that chair at one point or another in your life. Some of you may have wondered how that chair came to be in our home and where it came from. I may have told you this before, but here is the full story. When I was little, we used to travel to see my grandparents in Lovell, Wyo. Since we lived in Belgrade, Montana, and a freeway hadn't even been an idea, yet, travel to and from those two towns was no short drive. Today, that drive takes about 3.5 hours. When I was little, about 55 mph was as fast as you could safely go and it took 5 or 6 hours and maybe more, depending on weather conditions. Needless to say, when we went to Lovell, we stayed for a few days before turning around to head back to Montana. I should admit at this point that I was considered by most everyone to be a rather busy little boy. I don't think trouble was my name but trouble and I were well acquainted. I didn't have a Grandpa Lowe, since he had passed away before I was born so Grandpa Johnson spent a lot of time and worked pretty hard to keep me away from my dad's right boot. Grandpa Johnson had a nick-name for all his grandchildren which he gave them at the time he first laid eyes on them after they were born. I was born in early September and I was only weeks old when he came to visit. I don't recall what all the other grandkids nick-names were, but he named me 'Tuffy' which he called me until he passed away. As I said earlier, going to Lovell meant going to Grandpa Johnson's house to see what trees I could climb or what other mischief would find me. Out in the back of their house was a small garage/shop. There were not many tools there but there were a couple of hammers. Boys and hammers just naturally seem to go together. Somewhere, he had acquired a couple of kegs of bent nails. He probably got them with me in mind since it seemed to me like he and I were the only ones who worked on them. I remember staightening nails for hours, it seemed. When you are young, things seem longer than they are. Anyway, he would say "Come out to the shop with me, Tuffy." He would dump a bunch of nails out on a a little table and we stayed until they were all straightened, sorted and put in the right bucket. We worked on those nails on a round block of wood that set on the floor. As I was only six or seven or so at the time, he found a chair for me to sit on while we worked. It is that chair that sets next to our piano.
This little chair that I am giving you was built by me using my old chair as a pattern. My chair carried a lifetime guarantee which expired the same time Grandpa Johnson did. Your chair carries the same guarantee.

No comments:

Post a Comment